What is brain freeze?
Brain freeze is an unpleasant feeling or you can say a medical condition which can also be referred to as an ice-cream headache. This unpleasant feeling can make you suffer from a headache that lasts for a few minutes.
Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia is a medical term used for brain freeze.
Why brain freeze is termed as Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia?
It is termed as “Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia” because it is caused by sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgic nerves (SPG), a group of nerves near trigeminal nerves in the brain which is located behind the nose. These nerves are highly sensitive to pain
- ice-cream headache
- cold stimulus headache
If you consume cold water or icy water after coming from a warm environment the icy water can make you suffer from a sudden and sharp onset of headache especially in the frontal part of the head
- The pain can last for a few minutes
- The pain feels like a sharp pain or a dull headache
- The severity of the pain depends on the quantity of the cold liquid you consumed
Brain freeze is caused by a cold liquid or ice touching the roof of the mouth which makes the rapid swelling of the blood vessels
- Drinking cold water causes increased blood flow in the front brain arteries
- The middle brain arteries remain unaffected
- The cold water also causes an increased resistance in the brain
- So, the increased blood flow and resistance can cause brain freeze whenever you consume cold or icy water
Brain freeze can easily be treated at home just a few simple steps you need to follow to make the ice-cream headache completely disappear
If you are experiencing a brain freeze just because you consumed icy water follow the steps mentioned below to treat the ice-cream headache
- Press your tongue at the roof of the mouth
- Keep your tongue firmly against the roof of the mouth and you’ll start to feel the pain to disappear
- Keep your tongue at the roof of the till you get completely relieved from ice-cream headache
Why we made you place your tongue at the roof of the mouth??
Well, the answer is mentioned in the start that a group of nerves is located behind the nose near trigeminal nerves in the brain. These nerves are highly sensitive to pain.
Touching your tongue at the roof of the mouth can make your ice-cream headache go away in a few minutes